Monday, November 16, 2009

The Galaxy of Social Media

Having recently started to work in the social media industry I realized I didn’t actually know all that much about it.

Up until now I primarily associated the term “social media” with community sites like My Space and Facebook, blogging sites like Blogger and LiveJournal video sharing sites like YouTube and microblogging sites like Twitter. However, I have quite quickly come to realize that the term encompasses a lot more than just that.

At its core “social media” is any service or application that allows users to create or collect content with the intent of sharing it with others. Which means that this descriptor can also be applied to content reputation sites like digg, link collection sites like delicious, and even wiki sites like Wikipedia and TV Tropes.

As it is, I wasn’t particularly prolific on the social media I was already familiar with, and (perversely) this has dropped further due to this (wonderful!) new social media related job taking up my time.  However, it occurs to me that I need to fix this – in fact, participating in different types of social media should almost be a mandate of my job!

So, it looks like I have a lot more learning, posting, blogging, linking and editing to do.

To facilitate this learning I've decided that the best approach for me will be to do some user experience focused reviews of the various “social media” sites out there and post them to this blog. Keep your eyes peeled – I’ll try to have the first one up in a week or so.

Jenni


PS: For those who may be interested: a few of the social media accounts I maintain for my “professional” persona:
-J

No comments: